Monday, November 10, 2008

A special day.

Here is what I decided to wear. I opted for something lighter, we weren't sure if there was going to be air conditioning in the building, and I did not want to be hot. (It's about spring time here, and approaching summer.) Even though it wasn't one of the choices that I polled my readers on here, dh really likes this dress. So I went for it.

When we arrived, they had yet to set up for the ceremony. I was surprised to hear that once the national anthem of Chile was played, the men in uniform in the room all began singing. And of course when the Star Spangled Banner was played, my heart felt happy. That song just gets me every time. And though nobody sang, my heart did.

My kiddos. This is traditional Eddie right here. And this is the only picture that I got of them actually cooperating. The rest of the time they ran around and played. (Before the ceremony began.)
Then of course, like moths to the flame, my children instinctively ran through the grass. Just at that moment when they reached the hoses you see behind Alexa, the sprinklers came on. And they went running through them. Thankfully, they were more like misters, and not full on soak you sprinklers. But just the same, my children must have known that was going to happen. It had to happen right? They screamed and laughed and almost didn't come when I called them. Almost.
Do you see the roses?? Do you? Wonder who those are for. Hmm...
The Oath of Office.
The ceremony went well, it was short but sweet. My favorite part was when my dh addressed the room. He thanked the officiating Colonel who traveled in from D.C., he thanked the various high ranking officials from the Chilean Air Force, and then thanked those in attendance for sharing this special day. Last and most certainly not least, he turned to me. He thanked me for being by his side and supporting him. He acknowledged the huge role that I play in his life. He said some of the nicest things he has ever said, and publicly, no less. It was incredibly sweet. Thoughtful even. He thanked me graciously, and then presented me with that huge bouquet of roses. I can't even tell you the last time I got flowers. It's been a very long time. And it's so much sweeter when you don't expect it. And when someone is gushing over you, about you in front of people. That was surprising. And very very appreciated.
So for my very special dh, thank you too. I'm proud of you. And I love you.

post signature

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!

That is such a great promotion!

And the roses? Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

You looked lovely!
My nephew & niece look so grown up from the last time i have seen them!
Your dh is a very sweet, kind and gracious man. You are lucky to have him honor you pubicly that way! That is something very special and something for you to remember.

Love ya
Your Sis

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

YEAH for Captain! Sounds like a wonderful ceremony!

Lauren W said...

Yay for your hubby! That's so wonderful :) It's always so refreshing to have something like that to celebrate!

Alicia W. said...

Girl you rocked that dress!! Congrats to your husband for his accomplishment and the roses were breathtaking! :o)

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

So you are telling me you came by just to rub in that you have appliances bigger than doll house size? Grrrrr! JK, JK :)

Julie said...

I like the outfit you chose.

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Very pretty lady!
The kidos looked adorable! (as always!)

How very sweet...sniff sniff...I would have gotten teary eyed and would have had that huge lump in my throat if my man did something that sweet!! <3

Vanessa Rogers said...

How sweet :)

Dennis and Leslie said...

Your blog is adorable! And you have beautiful children! Thanks for stopping by my blog, keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful, wonderful day :)

Anonymous said...

Even though the roses are beautiful...you were more radiant! I think it was a great choice, and it saves the boots for another occasion! :)

I am so excited for you, in all aspects!

Congrats to dh, and the kids? Still absolutely adorable...

Eddie's tongue, and Alexa's big smile...priceless!

Dennis and Leslie said...

p.s. I gave you a blog award, read my latest post :)

Shannon said...

Good choice on the dress... very pretty.

And how sweet is you hubby? I would have been a blubbering mess...

Anonymous said...

Tell my son in law congratulations
we are all proud of him. The photos are great and dad and I enjoyed them--looking forward to
when you and the kids arrive back in Tucson.
Love ya;
Mom

Laural Out Loud said...

I think out of all the choices, the red dress is my favorite! It's the perfect dressy yet casual dress. You looked GREAT!